Thursday, December 11, 2008

Alluring Asin


Her ethereal beauty and lissome figure have won her many fans and films in Tamil and Telugu cine world. Asin, who is debuting in the much-talked about Bollywood movie Ghajini, is hoping to repeat the success story with same intensity

She is a superstar on this side of the Vindhyas. And now she is making a dream debut in Bollywood opposite the perfectionist Aamir Khan in the Hindi remake of the film Ghajini. Asin couldn't have asked for more.

When Aamir saw Asin in the original Ghajini, he was impressed with her talent and beauty so much so that the actor requested director A R Murugadoss to repeat her in the Hindi version as well.

Asin is happy that she has been able to embrace the throbbing diversity of the Indian film industry with élan.


Having debuted in Malayalam film Narendaran Makan Jayakanthan Vaka, Asin ventured out to act in Tamil, Telugu, now Hindi and also a multi-lingual film — 19th Step, made under Walt Disney Banner, along with Kamal Haasan and Japanese actor Asano. “This film is still in the pre-production stage,” Asin says and adds that she is privileged to have worked with Kamal Haasan, first in Dasavathaaram and now in 19th Step. Asin is also doing another Bollywood film London Dreams’ directed by Vipul Shah, with Salman Khan and Ajay Devgan.

Being fluent in Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, English, Hindi, Sanskrit and French gives Asin an edge over others who have language barriers. “For all the films, I have dubbed in my own voice. Working on such a wide spectrum has broadened my perspective,'” she says with pride.

Asin is eagerly waiting for Ghajini to release on the Christmas day. Throwing light on the Hindi version, Asin says, “The story is same but action sequence is different and there is little change in climax. My character, Kalpana remains untouched.”

Not many have good words to share about Aamir after working with him but Asin thinks otherwise. “Working with Aamir was a fabulous experience. He was supportive and encouraging. He is passionate about his work and yet he is simple and down to earth,” Asin raves.

Asin did have a bout of controversy during the making of the film which she rubbishes as a load of claptrap. It was reported that she was miffed for not being allowed to interact with the media earlier? “I had no issues with that. The marketing people wanted me to interact only when the film was nearing its release,” she avers.
Regarding the rift that she had with her co-star Jiah Khan on the sets, as she wanted keep an eye on her role, Asin says, “That's ridiculous and funny. We share no screen space in the film. I was never there on the sets when Jiah was shooting. I've met her twice and we share a cordial relationship. I'm trying to get used to the Bollywood media. Let me tell you, I’m a very secure person.”

Hailing from Kochi, Asin’s brush with glamour world started at the tender age of 14. “I was in 9th std when I started modelling. Till now, I've done more than 60 commercials — both print and TV.” She has been the face of many big brands since then and it was no surprise when she appeared on the cover of Vogue India in its July issue. “I'm the first South Indian actress to be featured and it feels nice,” tells Asin.

About her association with Bangalore, she says, “I had recently come to Bangalore for an event promotion. It’s a beautiful City and I’ve school friends who are settled there. I'm looking forward to coming there for the promotion of Ghajini.’’

However, before signing off she was keen to explain the meaning of her name, “Asin means without blemish – pure. Alphabet A in my name is from Sanskrit and word ‘Sin’ from English. I haven’t come across anyone with same name.”

Asin got the best actress award for original film Ghajini. Whether she will make a mark for herself in Bollywood and continue the legacy of South Indian actresses like Vyjanthimala, Hema Malini, Rekha, Jaya Prada, Sridevi — only time will tell.

No comments: